Coronavirus (COVID-09) – WHAT IS IT?
Coronavirus can be explained very simply, it is from a family of viruses that can make both humans and animals sick.
Other coronaviruses are Middle Eastern Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).
Mild illness to pneumonia is known according to the federal health department and some people recover pretty quickly, whereas, others may get very sick.
Typical symptoms are;
- Flu-like feeling; coughing, sore throat and fatigue
- Shortness of breath
WHO IS AT RISK?
The coronavirus is primarily on mainland China with the epicenter being in Wuhan and Iran.
In Australia, people most at risk are;
- The ones who have been to mainland China
- In close contact with someone who has a confirmed case.
HOW IT SPREADS
There is evidence that the coronavirus spreads from person to person and the most likely way is through
- Close contact
- Droplets from a person that sneezes or coughs
- Touching objects, surfaces like door knobs, tables, trolleys etc that a person has touched and then you’ve touched your mouth or face.
Surgical masks are only helpful if the ones that have coronavirus use them to prevent further spread, which means, if you are well, you don’t need to wear a mask.
Everyone should be aware to maintain good hygiene to reduce the risk by;
- Washing hands with soap and water thoroughly.
- Cover your mouth when sneezing and nose with tissue and discard tissue.
- Avoid close contact with others.
Cold weather cannot kill the virus
Taking hot baths does not prevent contracting the #COVID-19 strain
COVID-19 cannot be transmitted through goods manufactured in China. If you think it is, just wash your hands thoroughly as explained above.
The virus cannot be transmitted via mozzies.
REF: Health Dept and World Health organization